Monday, September 19, 2011

Midwifery

“The Business of Being Born,” enlightened me about the term midwifery. I found this topic to be extremely intriguing because it showed how some woman are disrespected and taken advantage of during labor. With midwives in place, this can be easily prevented. Personally, I would define midwifery as a way to incorporate the woman's voice and to respect her morals. In labor it is very intimidating when a doctor says what they should do, that is why often times they do whatever the doctor says. Sometimes this is emotionally scarring for woman as well as physically scarring. Midwives do their best to make birth a pleasant and painless experience. They also make sure they make sure everyone feels equal. A lot of the time after birth woman do not feel happy about their birth. While watching “The Business of Being Born,” I was astounded to see the reactions and results of each birth. Honestly, I rather not be consumed by drugs during the birth of my baby if it is going to affect my baby in the end. It seems to me that it is much more special to experience a natural birth in your own home. Rather than being in a hospital where there are sick people I rather be in the comfort of my own home. After doing extensive research on Midwifery the most simplistic definition I could come up with is the right of every woman to ensure the best possible outcome for her soon to be baby. Someone who practices midwifery is known to be a midwife. Midwives refer to both men and women who are involved with midwifery. Their goal is to provide a woman with a safe and natural birth experience unlike the ones of hospitals. I believe that hospitals want you in and out as fast as possible. They are not concerned about the amount of drugs they are putting in your body but, they are concerned about getting home or even just going to the next patient. Midwives strive to make you as comfortable as possible and not rush this experience. Although some do not think that these midwives are capable of complications, these people think wrong. Midwives are fully capable of dealing with the majority of complications. They can deliver twins, breech births and posterior position.

3 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with this post. Being able to choose how your baby is brought into the world is a woman's right, a part of reproductive justice. I think Midwifery is a great way to prove that we as women can steer away from the norms of being in a hospital during pregnancy and have natural births with midwives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree with this post as well as Lauren's comment. I think midwifery is a good thing. Just as long as there is nothing wrong with the baby or mother. I think is great to know there is another option for women to have their babies other than labor in a hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you, as women we are told that the birth of a child is extremely special. It's not special if your child is being forced out of you by drugs. I would like to be comfortable during this period and would like to remember it as special. So I think midwifery might be a great option to consider in the future.

    ReplyDelete